Tuesday, May 3, 2011

MONSTER WITHOUT A MOVIE!

When I was a kid in the 60's perusing the smudgy newsprint pages of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine, I was always drawn to the crude, lurid ad for the two buck monster masks that featured this stark, raving, rascally, rubber misfit creation mysteriously called the 'Shock Monster.'  At the time, I racked my young brain and queried many an adult and monster kid fan alike to see if they knew what movie featured the elusive 'Shock Monster?'   I assumed it had to be from some obscure movie that I didn't know about yet.  Not until decades later did I realize it was just a made up generic mask from a company called Topstone.  Even to this day, the SHOCK remains to me, one of the coolest, most original monster characters ever created, definitely deserving of its own movie, heck, even a franchise!  In the early 70s, I once had a milk chocolate lollipop with its image and sadly licked its face off!  I have never been able to hunt down the original mask, seen here...
But I do proudly own these two recently purchased re-creations (as well as a t-shirt, two magnets and a resin sculpted head!)...
Probably the closest a movie monster ever came to the SHOCK design was the title creatures in I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1957) and BEAST OF BLOOD (1971).  Those fine films will have to suffice until the poor, neglected SHOCK gets his own bona fide screen time someday...

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for it! SHOCK! SHOCK! SHOCK! Get the monster a movie!

    ReplyDelete