Friday, April 20, 2012

Jonathan Frid (1924-2012) R.I.P.

Although I was never a DARK SHADOWS fan, I did like the first film and saw it first run as a kid.  I remember the theater full of screaming kids and it was my first time really seeing gore and old age make up effects (courtesy of the great Dick Smith) that really stood out as 'realistic' and effective.  After the movie, I reluctantly gave the TV show another shot but I just couldn't stick with it.  To me, it was still too much like the soaps that my mom watched.  Ironically, Frid died after making a cameo in the new Tim Burton redux.  On second thought, maybe it's better he never sees it? (NOTE: I met Frid at a mid-80s Fangoria convention in mid-town Manhattan where he signed free autographs.  Note how he mispelled my name as 'Carol')

No comments:

Post a Comment